2020 Home Tour: Feb. 9th

No Home Tour in 2021

In the interest of everyone’s overall health and safety, the 2021 Willo Home Tour is officially canceled.

2020 Homes on the Tour

Photography By SpartaPhoto – Alex Rentzis

41 W. Vernon Ave.

Illustrating the classic Monterey Revival Style is the H.D. & Dorris S. Webb House built in 1930. Notably, one story Monterey homes are very rare in Phoenix. With an overall horizontal line, the house has a low-pitched roof with red clay tiles

Click on any image to enlarge the photo.

151 W. Palm Lane

The Miss Fay Young House is a classic Bungalow built in 1929. It has 9’ ceilings on the first floor, which is uncommon. Other characteristics typical of the Bungalow style include: original oak flooring, double hung windows, crown molding, 4” baseboards, and a shed-roof dormer. A large veranda spans the entire front facade providing a welcoming social space. Additionally, the home has an updated kitchen and a master suite on the second level with a den and loft.

Note: There is no inventory sheet on this home and the above information was gleaned from various real estate websites. Please feel free to write your own description of this home.

Click on any image to enlarge the photo.

79 W. Cypress St.

The J. & M. Thorpe House was built in 1919 and represents classic Bungalow architecture.Its wraparound porch, gabled roof, brick piers, exposed rafters, shingled roof, recessed veranda, and large ventilator dormers are all contributing factors to the Bungalow vernacular. The rear guest house was built in 1927.

Click on any image to enlarge the photo.

83 W. Cypress St.

Representing one of the infill new-builds in the Willo Historic District, this home was constructed in 2001. Its architecture is reminiscent of Elizabethan style with its steep roof and multiple gables. Also characteristic of this English look is the asymmetrical facade with dormer windows and partial timbering in the gables. This home was renovated last year and 400 square feet were added on to the first level.

No inventory sheet on this home. Please send details the home has an Elizabethan flavor. Please confirm.

Click on any image to enlarge the photo.

302 W. Monte Vista

Constructed in 1930, this Tudor Revival home is known historically as the William E. Orr House after the owner, who was the State Highway Engineer. The builder was P. W. Womak and the structural material was brick with stucco sheathing. Presenting a fine example of the Tudor Revival eclectic design, the home includes a cross-gable roof, sweeping eaves, arcaded wing wall, and arched gable ventilators.

Click on any image to enlarge the photo.

326 W. Cypress St.

Dubbed “El Padre” by the builder, F.P. Baldi, this 1928 Spanish Mission Revival home has been historically named the Bailey & Upshaw Spec. House. Structurally the home is concrete masonry with stucco sheathing and a high- pitched gabled roof with clay tile and exposed rafters. The Spanish eclectic style is achieved with a tall gable wall wing offset by a lone entry facade. The arched battened front door, ceramic tile decoration, and large focal windows all contribute to the Spanish Revival style.

Click on any image to enlarge the photo.

517 W. Encanto Blvd.

Known as the G. W. Slawson House, this Pueblo Revival home was constructed by builder, Harry Duff between 1930 and 1931. Its structural material is adobe with cobblestone piers supporting a tile roof with a wraparound veranda and portico. Structurally the home’s design blends the Native American pueblo with accents from Spanish Mission and Craftsman style.

Click on any image to enlarge the photo.

537 W. Encanto Blvd.

Constructed between 1930 and 1931, the Thomas E. Hawthorn House is redolent of Tudor Revival architecture popular in Phoenix during this era. It was built by J. M. Gedney & Sons. It mimics English Tudor style that reaches back to 16th Century England to include a double-gabled high pitched roof line, round arched windows, prominent porch entry, and cornice molding on the interior.

Click on any image to enlarge the photo.

45 W. Windsor Ave.

Built in 1936 by A.A. Chadwick, this home displays elements of the Early or Transitional Ranch style home with French Provincial Ranch characteristics such as the higher multiple hip roof and shuttered multi-paned picture windows. Typically this style of home was constructed of brick with stucco sheathing and had a small porch with wooden posts and an L-shaped floor plan. Unique to this home is the original scored concrete floor with integrated base boards.

Note: This home is described on the inventory sheet as “Monterey” but it more accurately conforms to the “early transitional ranch” with “French Provincial” elements.

Click on any image to enlarge the photo.

38 W. Wilshire Ave.

A classic example of Spanish eclectic design, the A. Westerwick House was built between 1926 and 1928. Its Mission Revival elements include a stepped parapet with tile along the eaves and a low undulating patio wall. This style of architecture was the new “craze” in design during the 1920s from California to Texas.

Click on any image to enlarge the photo.

Fire Station

Willo’s very own Fire Station # 8 has been revamped from an active station to a museum and meeting facility. Constructed in 1942 by builder William Pepper, the Fire Station is an excellent example of Spanish Mission eclectic residential format. The well-detailed diagonal batten vehicle bay doors are unique. The Fire Station has been on the Willo Home Tour for many years. Don’t miss the antique fire trucks and the Chief’s car that will be on display along with other vintage firefighting equipment and historical photographs.

Click on any image to enlarge the photo.

34 W. Vernon Ave.

The P.W. Womack House was built in 1929 and occupied by the prominent Phoenix contractor of the same name. It illustrates features of the Tudor Revival architecture including: steep-pitched gabled roof, sweeping eaves, roof vent, small paned window, and arched entry with stone quoins.

Click on any image to enlarge the photo.

54 W. Encanto

Built in 1940 this home represents the Transitional or Early Ranch style popular during the era between the Depression and the end of World War II. Elements typical of the Early Ranch include: painted brick, low pitched roof with a single gable and horizontal wood siding, square metal-framed windows with small panes, and asphalt shingle roofing.

Note: This home is described on the inventory sheet as “Period Revival” but does not specify the specific period. Accurately this home conforms to the “transitional or early ranch” style.

Click on any image to enlarge the photo.

45 W. Lewis

Built between 1928 and 1931, this Tudor Revival home depicts the popular style of architecture during the first major building boom in Phoenix. A chief characteristic of the Tudor style is the high-pitched, double-gabled roof with exposed rafters and purlins. Although the off-center, recessed entry is common in Tudor homes, the arcaded veranda is rare.

Click on any image to enlarge the photo.

341 W. Vernon

The Frank E. Davis House was constructed in 1938 by builder Elmer Schler. This home exemplifies the American Colonial Ranch style, which typically had a low-to-medium pitched gable roof with shingles, simple masonry chimney, and classical interior cornice molding.

Note: This home is described on the inventory sheet as “Monterey” but it more accurately complies with the “American Colonial Ranch Style.”

Click on any image to enlarge the photo.